The paint and plaster conservation team has now moved into the grand hall of the Brice House – which means the Dining Room has been fully completed! All plaster elements, like the cornice pieces, have been repaired, and the walls are fully stripped of their layers of paint.
The team continues their work on the west wing roof and restoring it to the original configuration. The craftsmen are painstakingly replacing restoring missing rafters with scarf joints.
During their roof repairs on the west wing (previously home of the Brice House conference room, and likely the carriage house during its colonial history), Lewis Contractors and Country Homestead discovered original historic siding under modern siding on one of the dormer windows. You can even see the darker outline of the original moulding placement!
More Trial and Error
The paint conservators continue their tests to learn the best removal method for the wall plaster and paint – this time on the dining room walls. Once they determine the best method to remove the current finish, they will work their way around the room, stripping the walls to prepare them for their recreated, historically-accurate first-generation finish.
Trial and Error
The paint and plasterwork restoration team is working to perfectly match the color of the drawing room walls with recreated first-generation finishes. Trying to find the perfect match is a long, long series of trials and errors, adding this ingredient and that in different amounts. These paints are being recreated with historically-accurate materials.
A Woodwork Workshop
Lewis Contractors is working to refinish and prep all of the woodwork trim to reinstall throughout the Brice House. They’ve taken over the old kitchen in the east wing for this work – and it’s quite the historic setting! You can see that all the modern plaster walls have been removed and the exposed brick-and-plaster original walls are exposed.
East Wing Demolition
Lewis Contractors began demolition in the east wing of the Brice House, previously housing the Historic Annapolis administrative offices. This demo will remove all modern materials and finishes, like the modern bathroom, non-original staircases, and help facilitate historic investigations of both the kitchen and laundry area downstairs as well as what we believe may have been enslaved living quarters upstairs.
Plasterwork restoration is continuing in the dining room, and restoration specialists Chris, Brad, and Kelsey have uncovered some amazing original detail as they very, very carefully remove the layers of old paint on the cornice.
Historic Annapolis is immensely grateful for the generosity of The Helena Foundation who has provided financial support for the plasterwork restoration. Photo courtesy of Chris Mills.
Practice makes perfect! Architect Bill Neudorfer and Lewis Contractors are working to ensure they have the proper technique down to begin the swept valley shingle installation around the dormers on the two wings of the Brice House. They’ve built a to-scale model of a dormer in the backyard to work out all the kinks ahead of the roof replacement on the real building.
It’s a Match!
Remember when we went digging for sand samples to match the sand found in the historic Brice House mortar? Well, we found the matching sand on the tiny shoreline near the Charles Carroll House...but that’s a bit of a small stretch...and pretty inaccessible. Luckily, Lewis Contractors president Tyler Tate has some Annapolitan relatives with a private beach! Amazingly, their sand turned out to be a perfect match. Thank you to Paula and Charlie Isaacs, who will be donating all the sand needed to recreate the historic mortar as the masons continue their repointing repairs.
Jeff Brown of Lewis Contractors carefully removed an original 1770s cornice just below the roof line on the main block of the Brice House. The brackets holding it were failing and the cornice itself will be analyzed by historians to better understand the original construction techniques from the 1770s. This will help to determine how best to reinstall the cornice.
There's a Hole in the Attic!
There’s a hole in the roof of the Brice House! Wood that was cut out of the roof rafters to create modern dormer windows in the attic (since removed) was salvaged from where it was used elsewhere in the house. Now, it’s being spliced back into its original place in the roof rafters.
Roof Replacement Begins
The roof replacement began today with the removal of the terra cotta roof tiles from the south (front) side of the Center Block roof. The terra cotta roof tiles on the north (back) side will be removed tomorrow.
Activities in the Attic
For the next several weeks, work in the attic will consist of the examination of specific framing members that were removed from their original locations when dormers were installed on the north slope of the roof. The intent is to reinstall them in their original locations by splicing into new rafter material of the same dimensions and then into the remaining historic rafter system. Other work that may be evident over the next few weeks is the exploration of the masonry wall that comprises the northwest corner of the attic and second floor. Details of the examination will be shared when they are available.
Scaffolding is Going Up
Scaffolding is being erected at the James Brice House starting today. Once it is in place, work to replace the failing terra cotta roof tiles with historically accurate Atlantic white cedar wood shingles will commence. Follow our progress on the Brice House web cam.
A Rare and Unique Find
Today in the backyard of the James Brice House, archaeologists found a projectile point made from rhyolite (a material typically found in western Maryland) that dates to the late archaic period estimated to be approximately 2,000-5,000 years old. Initial examination indicates it would have possibly been tied to the tip of a spear. A rare and unique find indeed!
Historic Renovations and Hard Hat Tours
The James Brice House was featured on the Annapolis Discovered blog by Ann Powell. Check out her blog at the link below to find out more about the Brice ledgers, the restoration work, and hard hat tours.
The back stairs (not original) of the James Brice House are being removed this week to allow further archaeology investigations. We are hoping to find the original footings that will tell us how to reconstruct the stairs back to their original 1774 appearance.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation was kind enough to feature the James Brice House in their Forum blog, specifically our master stone mason Ray Cannetti. The brilliant videography work was done by Mark Hildebrand of Make Your Mark Media, and the transcriptions were done by Ianna Seebachan, one of our summer interns. See the link below to learn more about the process of making mortar from scratch and how it is being applied at the James Brice House.
Discovering Original Paint Finishes
Architectural Conservators Chris Mills and Andy Compton arrived on site yesterday to test paint removal systems on the decorative plaster at the James Brice House. Their findings will recover lost detail and inform future treatments about how best to peel back almost 250 years of paint and accurately recreate first-generation finishes.
The James Brice House Goes National!
We are excited to share that the National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP) did a feature online story on the James Brice House yesterday, and thanks to Willie Graham, the house got a second online feature through the NTHP Forum. Take a look via the links below, and thanks to all who are making this exciting project a reality.
Restoring Original Wall Configurations
Exciting demolition! The 1950s bathroom addition is coming down today. We've already begun restoring the original wall configuration on the inside.
Bricks and Beaches
What do bricks and beaches have in common? Sand! We spent yesterday afternoon gathering sand samples from local Annapolis beaches for master stone and brick mason Ray Cannetti who is making a custom batch of mortar on site at the James Brice House to match the color and consistency of the original bricks that were laid in 1774.
Webcams are Live!
The webcams that have been capturing the restoration work of the James Brice House are now streaming live from the Historic Annapolis website! Today we have experts working on the first and second floor windows. Last week, the original 1774 front doors were removed and will be carefully stored and conserved. Keep checking the webcams for other upcoming preservation in progress!
1950 Window Sills Removed
Out with the new and in with the "old"...huh? That's right we are taking out the 1950 window sills that were installed at the James Brice House and replacing them with reproduction sills that are more akin to the originals that were in place in 1774 - complete with sloped edging and cove profiles.
Do you know the life span of the tiles on your roof? That’s exactly what we are trying to determine at the James Brice House. The existing tiles were installed in the 1950’s and are high quality, but are they still up for the job for the next 50 years? After we send them out for intense testing we’ll find out. Stay tuned…