Construction on this building began in 1741 after the colonial legislature authorized funding for an official residence for Colonial Governor Thomas Bladen. The Governor’s home was planned as one of the largest and most elaborate houses in all the colonies. Unfortunately, work stopped due to lack of additional funding, and the structure was left without a roof. The site became known as “Bladen’s Folly,” and it was left to deteriorate for nearly fifty years. In 1766 Thomas Jefferson observed that in Annapolis “they have no public building worth mentioning except a Governor’s House, the hull of which after being nearly finished, they have suffered to go to ruin.” In 1784, the newly chartered, St. John’s College took over the building saw to its completion.