Upton Scott House
In 1753 Dr. Upton Scott came to Maryland to serve as personal physician to Governor Horatio Sharpe. Scott purchased his lot in 1759 but did not begin construction until 1762, employing the services of William Brown to oversee the work. Brown’s own home, which still stands in London Town across the South River, shares a similar outward appearance with the Upton Scott House, but is finished much less elaborately. Scott’s house, surrounded by handsome gardens, was completed in 1765. After the Revolution, Robert Eden, Maryland’s last colonial governor, lived with the Scotts when he returned to the new state in hopes of claiming compensation for property seized during the war. Eden’s efforts failed, and he died here in 1784. The Scott’s nephew, Francis Scott Key, lived here while he was a student at St. John’s College.