HA Museum Store
History of the Victualling Warehouse at 77 Main
During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, a series of mercantile stores and warehouses lined Main Street. In the mid-18th century, two tobacco warehouses and a tobacco prize stood on this property owned by the Carroll and Dulany families. During the Revolutionary War, the State of Maryland confiscated the property from Dulany, who was a loyalist, for use as supply storage; hence the name Victualling Warehouse which appeared in period sources.
In 1784, the property was sold to William Wilkins, a merchant who resided on-site and used the warehouses for storage and a shop. On January 21, 1790, a disastrous fire destroyed the entire block (to include the building at 99 Main Street). Wilknies never rebuilt, and the shell of the building fell into disrepair, as a result of the depressed Annapolis economy. By 1816, George and John Barber built a new store and warehouse on the foundation of the original building. In 1846, another fire destroyed the interior of the building, including the third story.
Restored in 1974 to resemble the c. 1816 structure, the building represents a rare surviving example of early 19th century commercial architecture in Annapolis. The three-bay front with the central door incorporates six-over-nine windows on the first floor and six-over-six on the second.
77 Main Street now houses the Historic Annapolis Museum Store, where you can find housewares, hostess gifts, children's toys, and more. Learn more about the Store's offerings here.
Historic Annapolis Museum Store
77 Main Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Monday - Saturday: 10 am - 5 pm
Sunday: 11 am - 5 pm
The HA Museum Store is currently closed, with a tentative re-opening date in June.