William Paca House and Garden
This five-part Georgian mansion was built in the 1760s by William Paca, one of Maryland’s four Signers of the Declaration of Independence and the state’s third Governor. The house continued as a single-family home until 1801, then served primarily as rental property for much of the 19th century. In 1901, the property was purchased and converted into the grand hotel, Carvel Hall, which operated until 1965. Working together, Historic Annapolis and the State of Maryland bought the house and former garden property to protect them from demolition. Today it is recognized as one of the finest 18th-century homes in the country and a National Historic Landmark.